Let me photograph your event/function, wedding, portrait! Contact by e-mail; admin@lashon.org

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Quotable - Hijab & Religious "Requirements" of Women

"At that moment, I saw how religious opinions become rules, and how rules become cultural norms, and how norms can extinguish the bright light of individual truth."
- Andrea Useem

I applaud her for sharing her story. Through this article I found her story. I too am a typical westerner that really had no clue as to the why of east indian clothing for women in this respect. I too had presumed it as a negative form of oppression for women. While it is duly noted that men too are required to wear coverings that are modest, they are not so negatively forced to adhere to. This goes on the list of sexist groups in religion which is why I am not a participant of any form now. Men are not looked at with disgust or treated with disrespect if they are not covered as their texts would describe. Men are not treated like animals if they are 'caught' with those of the opposite sex that are not family. I could be, at this point, jumping to another area of such a thought, but I should hope that my overall point is understood.

Like religious texts for otehrs, this quote for me, is beyond a gospel. The standards of religious pasts and how people perceive them in today's times, I often shake my head at. I can't really say much more because my mind is jumping between the difference of religious vs social standards and it's all becoming a blur. Yes a lot they seem to be one and the same. Help me speak further on this, please.

In case anybody was wondering what I do practice, it's a general respect for all things. Respect life. A basic principal that I'm certain most if not all religions stress of it's followers. At least till it gets to the part that if you don't follow us, you'll suffer eternal torture when you die, LOL.

This concludes my prolific thought of this moment.

quPeace & blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment